Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Open to: Internal and External applicants
Reference No.: SVN/ID10/2016/077 - REISSUED
Position Title: GIS Assistant I
Duty Station: Banda Aceh
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G-4
Base Salary: IDR 10,249,883.- per month
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Contract for 4 (four) months, with possibility of extension (the first three months shall be considered as probation period).
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 14 March 2017
Under the direct supervision of the DRR Coordinator in close coordination with Government Liaison Assistant, and the overall supervision of Project Manager (PM), the GIS Assistant will be responsible for facilitating and handling IOM DRR Aceh GIS activities at provincial and district level.
II. CORE FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
• Under direct supervision of DRR Coordinator, overall supervision of Project Manager and in close relation with relevant units, the GIS Assistant will assists in the implementation and monitoring of GIS and data based components as part of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) project in Aceh Province.
• Assist the DRR coordinator to develop relevant maps for project planning, implementation and reporting, making use of GIS and data based and other suitable tools;
• Assist to collect spatial data sets and maintain the data into the formats needed in the project;
• Assist in completing spatial products such as hazard, vulnerability, capacity maps.
• Assist to maintain spatial data used to produce risk maps as part of the development of District Disaster Management Plan (RPB Kabupaten);
• In coordination with other unit, verify spatial data and adjust maps accordingly;
• Provide assistance compiling primary and secondary data (in house or external research/analysis) necessary for IOM project planning and implementation;
• In coordination with DRR coordinator, provide technical assistance pertaining GIS to usual government stakeholders;
• In coordination with DRR Coordinator, assist in facilitating the activities pertaining mapping at community level;
• Assist DRR Coordinator implementing suitable tools for office filing and data sharing for IOM offices in Aceh;
• Carry out daily activities for back up, such as filing of data and safeguarding of IOM’s program activities information in both hard and magnetic versions;
• In close coordination with IOM DRR Aceh staff, develop village risk maps and evacuation route maps;
• Adhere to IOM data protection confidentiality policy as well as strict compliance to IOM Code of Conduct at all times;
• Perform other duties as may be assigned.
III. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• University degree in Computer Science, Geodesic, or Geography, with at least two years of relevant working experience , or;
• Completed high school diploma with at least four years of relevant working experience.
• Has experience in GIS and IM System with various level of government entities, UN agencies, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
• Familiar with the use of MS software, web-based and/or client-server database system implementations a distinctive advantage.
• Good understanding of national and sub-national DRR system, framework and regulations. Strong coordination and facilitation skills.
• Demonstrated strong result in area of GIS and Database, information management, data frames, data analysis and spatial data management system.
• Solid understanding of GIS software including open source software (e.g. ArcGIS, Quantum GIS). Advanced knowledge of MS Excel for data analysis and statistical reporting.
• Familiarity with Disaster Risk Reduction issues and Indonesian Spatial Data and Disaster Management laws. Willingness to travel to implementation areas in various districts as necessary.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and hardship conditions, excellent teamwork and communication skills, cross cultural and gender sensitivity.
• Able to work with minimal supervision and demonstrate high level of initiative, perseverance and professional commitment to achieve high quality results.
• Ability to handle confidential data in a professional, responsible and mature manner.
• Proficient in computer applications.
Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required.
IV. REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
a) Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders; c) Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly; d) Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) Displays mastery of subject matter; g) Contributes to a collegial team environment; h) Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; i) Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; j) Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
• Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners.
• Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, security clearance and verification of education certificate.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in ENGLISH, with:
• Cover letter, clearly specify suitability and availability date,
• Complete the Personal History Form which can be downloaded at the following link: http://indonesia.iom.int/sites/default/files/Personal%20History%20Form.xls
• Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical salary and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
The deadline for applications is 14 March 2017.